Sunday 11 May 2008

The Man from the Moon, Fridge Magnets, and an Angelic Dead Dad

What a weekend. Mr TC spent a lot of it either in extreme pain, or in the ER at the local hospital ... with a suspected hernia. This morning he got up at 1.30am and nearly fainted. This is my big tough guyo husband - he NEVER gets sick. It's not a hernia, they don't know what it is. Possibly a bowel infection, that is causing bloatedness, pain, and nausea.

Really what we'd like to be dealing with this week ... not. I just want him to be ok, my mind has wandered into "what if it's something really serious" territory, which has scared me shitless. He was scared too, though he would never admit it. But I saw it in his eyes. I hope he can sleep tonight. I told him it's probably just sympathy pregnancy pains.

I adore Mr TC so very much. We are so right together, in most ways ... and have slowly built a solid, grounding relationship together. Something neither of us ever have really had.



SO .... a few prayers to Universe would most definitely not go astray ;)



I promise, if I go into labour early (which I don't think I will) my sisters Tee and Rex will post asap. With pics, even. As long as Tee doesn't lick the baby while I'm getting stitched up. If I don't go into labour early, I will be getting my STOMACH SLICED OPEN (aka popping the sunroof) on Monday, the 19th May .. I have a whole post about that brewing. And if any prick changes the date on me again, I will burn the hospital to the ground.




I looked down to see how badly my toenails needed a pedicure, but all I could see was this .....


*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*



and no, it's not the moon!!!!


Check out my sister Tees latest handicrafts. She is AMAZINGLY TALENTED in the craft department. She calls herself an artist, and I tend to agree. These are some trousers she knitted for Monkey ....

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*




When I was a kid, there was a show called Mr Squiggle. (All you fellow Aussies are gonna die when you see this..) Mr Squiggle would sit next to a lady called Miss Jane, and turn a 'squiggle' on a blackboard into a picture, using his pencil nose. Tee knitted Monkey a Mr Squiggle doll. It's about 50cm tall, and totally authentic, right down to the pencil nose ....
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*



How much does he rock!! He's seriously getting packed in my hospital bag. (HOSPITAL BAG OH MY GOD THE EMBRYO IMPLANTED).



Here, for no apparent reason, is a photo of my fridge ....

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*





Beneath the Monkey Magic magnet, there's a pic of me when I was a kid on there, next to one of Mr TC when he was a kid. There's Tiger with his face painted as the hulk, a beautiful one of stepdaughter as a fairy, and my favourite fridge magnet that says "Remember, as far as anyone knows we're a nice, normal family."
Lastly, I cannot BELIEVE that the awesome Pam aka Wordgirl asked about this ring I wear ..
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

I used to wear it all the time, but I took it off the night before I got married. It's my fathers ring - my real father. It's the only thing I have of his - of course, my manhands meant that it didn't need adjusting!! Pam and I have similar father and family .... circumstances. It's his signet ring, I think. With his initials on it. Sometimes I would touch it, and just think "Wow, my dad used to wear this." It was a tiny, miniscule thing that would make me feel connected to him. Many years ago, Tee clocked it, and said "What are you wearing THAT thing for?" I didn't really know - maybe to feel close to him - the violent, alcoholic Scottish arsehole, the one who rejected me because I wasn't the son he wanted. I'm sure, if he was here today, he would be proud of me. I'm not sure how much I would want him in my life, though. Some marks can never be erased, some things the word 'sorry' can never heal.

So, last November I was having an amnio. It was HORRIBLE. The doctor had a thick Scottish accent and called me 'lass' in such a tender way that it briefly broke my heart. The day of the amnio, I put this ring on, because I inexplicably felt the presence of my long-dead arsehole of a dad, watching over and helping me.

I have had it on ever since. I'll take it off ... after Monkey is here safe and sound. I'm superstitious like that.

xo

8 comments:

OHN said...

I COMPLETELY get the ring. My father was a welsh alcoholic ass and the only thing that made me sad when he died was that he never knew me...really new me. His loss.

I love the knitted pants, is there enough yarn in the world to make a pair for me :) ?

Mr. Squiggle kinda freaks me out.

Gemini Girl said...

I loved this post- so random.

I have been thinking of you the past week- wondering about monkey. BTW- It will all be ok- I have been hearing random U2 songs lately.
:)

Chastity said...

Are you sure that's a pencil nose Mr. Squiggle has??

Evil Stepmonster said...

Wow, Tee is one talented gal, the pants are very cute but that Mr Squiggle is awesome! Even the eyes are exactly as I remember...

OMG one week to go! ONE WEEK!!

Princesses in Muddy Puddles said...

Holy crap, I don't remember his pencil being quite so long! Love it!

Bee Cee said...

Hope you roped Mr TC into painting your toenails for you. And I hope that his pain is nothing to worry about. Then you can all get on with looking forward to Monkeys arrival.

Wordgirl said...

Oh Topcat,

I will be thinking of Mr TC -- and thinking of you as your day approaches...I am so struck by the similarities in our lives...I read your entry and I marveled at how it could be that there's this woman who lives so far from me, that if we were in the same place we would, undoubtedly, be great friends.

I was so overcome with emotion when I read your writing -- so much like something I could have written, that I had to step away...and come back...so grateful that I stumbled across your blog.

I will be thinking of you all,

Pam

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I love the glimpses you give into your life.

I'll be thinking of you in the coming weeks, Moon Belly!